The Lighthouse Construction Industry Charity has been delivering Charitable Welfare and Support to the Construction Community since 1956. It all began one evening when a group of gentlemen who had been attending a Ministry of Public Buildings and Works Exhibition on Tyneside, found themselves on the seafront at Whitley Bay.
Under the light of St Mary’s Lighthouse, they vowed to extend the goodwill they enjoyed at the show by starting something to unite and benefit the entire industry. From that day forward, the Lighthouse Club was formed. Soon after, the club introduced the Lighthouse Club Benevolent Fund, which offered aid and assistance to construction workers who suffered an accident or illness and started small by providing Christmas hampers.